Modern vehicles are complicated, high tech pieces of machinery. Each one comes with a maintenance program that the owner is expected to follow to keep it running at a maximum level of performance. Many owners do not keep up with the recommended maintenance schedule once the car is no longer covered under a warranty. Making this choice can have serious consequences, though.
Here is a list of maintenance mistakes that do the most damage to your car. How many of them are you making, either consciously or unconsciously?
Maintenance Mistakes that Do the Most Damage to Your Car
- Putting off recommended or scheduled maintenance on your vehicle
- Not changing the oil or not having it changed at intervals according to the maintenance schedule
- Not checking the tire pressure regularly
- Not having the brake, coolant, transmission, and other fluid levels checked and topped up as required
- Ignoring the “check engine” light when it comes on
- Not changing the air and fuel filters
- Continuing to drive the car, even when it is overheating
- Having repairs performed at an unqualified shop. Always ask about the qualifications of the technicians who will be working on your vehicle before any work is performed.
- Trying to perform complicated repairs on your car yourself. Know when you should turn your vehicle over to a professional.
- Using generic aftermarket car parts instead of original equipment manufacturer (OEM) parts
Not changing your oil can cause a lot of damage to your vehicle. Dirty oil will ruin a high-tech engine, and camshaft actuators can freeze when they are restricted by dirty oil. If the camshaft actuator is faulty, it can cause the “check engine” light to appear on the dash. If it is ignored for too long, you run the risk of complete engine failure on your car.
Get Quality Parts from Carcone’s Auto Recycling
If you need parts to repair your vehicle, Carcone’s Auto Recycling is your one-stop source for quality late model parts. Our auto parts are taken from insurance write-offs, cleaned and tested before being declared ready for resale. We have been servicing the automotive industry for over 35 years, and we’re confident we can help you find what you are looking for. Call us today!